SECTIONS OF THE SOCIETY
Holding regular monthly meeting of members, at which every individual did not only become acquainted with the scientific and professional work of other members of the Society and was informed of current problems in chemistry in this country and in the world, but had the possibility to express his own opinion, to give suggestions, to take part in making conclusions and decisions at the time when Serbia could not have had more than 30 chemists, was the best way of action. Later on when the number of members increased and when active participation in the Society's activity was no longer possible for all members in this way, these meetings were deprived of their original significance. In the period between the two world wars, when the number of members was almost ten times larger, compared to the initial number, the only purpose of these meetings seemed to be informing on one's own work and on problems of general significance. Taking into consideration the number of members, the topics were of a rather modest scope.
When the number of 139 members according to the list from 1947 increased to 1501, according to the facts in 1971, the situation in that respect, of course, could not have changed for the better. Moreover, due to the ever increasing differentiation and specialization in scientific work and the decreasing interest among some members in the activity of others, except if it was not about research from the same narrow field, interest in such meetings was bound to decrease. And yet, plenary lectures organized by the Society in the first postwar years, proved to have good attendance. Beginning with 1945 to this day the Society has organized more than 500 plenary lectures. The initial interest, however, and the attendance decreased gradually, especially after the annual meetings started and work in sections had been introduced. In order to increase the interest of the audience for plenary lectures, the Society started inviting, as plenary lecturers, guests from this country and from abroad, all of them well-known scientists. As the differentiation in scientific research in chemistry had gone even further, especially when analyzed in world standards, the plenary lectures were met with less and less response by a wider circle of chemists, and even more so since the choice of lecturers had been adapted to the interests of certain research groups, and the audience at plenary lectures was limited to a relatively narrow audience.
The idea that intensifying of the work of the Society in the professional-scientific field would require work in smaller groups, which would deal with problems from narrow and specific branches of chemistry and chemical technology, was not a new one; it was dealt with on occasion of renewing the work of the Society after 1945.
At the second Annual Assembly held on May 13th, 1947, changes and additions to the Society rules were suggested. To Article 5 of the Rules, which lists the activities of the Society by which the Society achieves its goals, should be added a paragraph indicating the establishment of sections of the Society "in order to have work on certain chemical problems develop more intensively." This supplement of the Society Rules was ratified in 1948.
Thus, within the Society separate groups were formed, i.e., sections which gathered members of the Society engaged in teaching, in scientific research work, or in industrial practice, who were mutually connected bydealing with problems from their specific branch of chemistry, chemical technology or metallurgy. At their meetings they issued reports and developed free discussions on new achievements and current problems fromtheir specific technical and scientific fields and they also presented theirs scientific research results and discussed problems in their industrial practice.All forms of work were being used and developed: lectures, discussions, films and visits to factories. Thus, this form of Society activity was gradually taken over by the sections. Without them the activity of the Society could not be imagined today. Many of them started their activities under the modest title of "working groups" and they grew into sections which now work within the Society practically as fully independent organizational units.
· The Teaching Section is the oldest. It was founded in 1949, and, being the first, indicates the special attention the Society has paid to the teaching of chemistry. Among the most important tasks "the solution of matters concerning the teaching of chemistry in our schools" was included. The Teaching Section has organized many meetings and seminars
· The Ceramics Section was founded in 1952 after the 2nd Meeting of the Serbian Chemical Society at which the main topic was silicate chemistry. The section has organized two meetings.
· The Section for Cellulose and Paper was founded in 1954. It has organized meetings with professional and scientific lectures.
· The Spectrochemical Section was founded in 1954. Apart from its regular activities, the Section has organized 5 meetings.
· The Metallurgical Section was founded in 1955. Beside numerous meetings, the Section has organized 7 scientific and professional symposia.
· The Section for Coal and Hydrocarbons was founded in 1955. The Section has organized three scientific and professional meetings.
· The Section for Analytical Chemistry was founded in 1961. Beside about 80 meetings with lectures, the Section has organized four symposia.
· The Section for Radiochemistry was founded in 1962. Apart from regular meetings, the Section has organized one symposium.
· The Section for Chemical Engineering was founded in 1964. The Section has organized three scientific and professional meetings.
· The Section for Textile Chemistry and Technology was founded in 1965. The Section has organized three scientific and professional meetings.
· The Biochemical Section was founded in 1966. Apart from regular meetings, the Section has organized two scientific and professional symposia
· The Electrochemical Section was founded in 1968. The Section has organized four scientific and professional meetings in the scope of a cooperation in Yugoslavia, that produced the Biannual Yugoslav Symposium on Electrochemistry.
· The Section for the Chemistry and Technology of Food was founded in 1970. The section has organized one symposium and technical meeting.
· The Section for Organic Chemistry was founded in 1971 and it has organized three scientific meetings.
· The Section for the Chemistry and Technology of Macromolecules was founded in 1972. It has organized numerous meetings.
· The Section for the History of Chemistry and Chemical Technology was founded in 1974, and beside regular meetings, it has organized one symposium.
· The Section for the Chemistry and Technology of Leather was founded in 1979. The Section has organized regular scientific and professional meetings.
· The Section for Theoretical Chemistry was founded in 1980. The activity of the Section has consisted of organizing lectures and seminars.
· The Section for Environmental Chemistry and Protection was founded in 1982. Apart from regular meetings, it has organized four meetings.
This review shows that the main activity of the sections has consisted of organizing section meetings with lectures and scientific and professional symposia, the majority of which were of national and international significance, and also at a high scientific level.